This time-honored recipe was created by an anonymous, enterprising American housewife who couldn’t afford, or didn’t have access to, eggs or milk. (Theories range from the Wild West to the Great Depression to World War II.) Here, I’ve portioned it perfectly to make 12 delicious cupcakes, and substituted peppermint tea for the usual water called for.
Veggie Type: Vegan
Prep Time: 0 mins
Cooking Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 0 mins
1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooled strong peppermint tea
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
Small candy canes or crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a standard 12-muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together tea, oil, and vinegar. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
4. Distribute batter evenly into paper-lined cups of muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tops are springy to the touch. Remove from tin and cool completely on a rack before frosting.
5. To decorate: Frost each cupcake generously; top with a candy cane or sprinkle with crushed candy.