Curried Split Pea Hummus
By far, this is one of my favorite ways to make hummus at home. Split Peas deliver a smooth texture to create many a tasty thing, so adding it to hummus makes it really good! I also love to add a few cloves of oven-roasted garlic to the bean duo of Split Peas and chickpeas with some freshly squeezed lime juice. The oven-roasted garlic flavor gives an aromatic and mildly sweet flavor to the hummus. If I feel a little bit risqué, I’ll sometimes throw in a chili pepper for a little heat but if you don’t want this hot, feel free to skip the chili.
1. 2 cups cooked yellow split peas (A scant cup of dried ones should yield this much. Reserve the cooking liquid.)
2. 1/3 cup tahini
3. 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
5. 2 teaspoons curry powder
6. 1 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste)
7. Olive oil, for drizzling on top
1. Combine everything but the olive oil in a food processor or blender and process, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides, until smooth. With the motor running, add cooking liquid from the split peas until you get to your desired consistency.
2. Serve with additional curry powder sprinkled on top, plus a drizzle of olive oil. Makes about 2 cups.