Don’t be put off by the word spinach in amazing, healthy, recipe! When combined with fruit or berries, young spinach leaves make a great addition to smoothies. Not only do they have a mild flavor that is easily masked by the intense flavor of fruits, raw spinach leaves can also add tons of vitamins to your smoothies. In this fruity green smoothie, raw spinach comes together with succulent mango, juicy apple and creamy banana. Ground flaxseed is added to the mix to make sure your body also gets some essential fatty acids.
The substitute suggestions in the Tweak It! box at the bottom of this page help you tweak the basic recipe below so that you can have a different smoothie sensation every day of the week!
- 1 cup raw young spinach
- 1 green apple
- 1 mango
- 1 small banana (or another ingredient from the Tweak It! box below)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- Rinse the spinach and apple thoroughly. Peel the mango and banana. If you are using another ingredient from the Tweak It! box below to replace the banana, rinse, peel and core the fruit as needed.
- Core the apple and remove the stone from the mango. Cut all the fruit into bite-size pieces.
- Place the water, spinach leaves, apple, mango, banana, crushed ice and ground flaxseed in a blender and secure the lid.
- Process until smooth and serve immediately.