Skordalia Me Lahanika
Zesty potato-garlic topping for zucchini, beets, and beet greens—a garlic lover’s delight! Traditionally, skordalia, vegetables, and indeed most Greek dishes are served at room temperature, which Greeks believe enhances flavor.
Veggie Type: Vegan
3 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
Salt, to taste
8 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more, to taste
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water (optional)
6 medium beets, scrubbed,
(about 2-1/2 inches in diameter)
6 small zucchini
(about 6 inches long)
2 bunches beet greens
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or more, to taste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make topping: Place potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cool water; salt, if desired. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Remove potatoes from water and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel and discard skins. Place potatoes in a mixing bowl and mash thoroughly.
3. Using a garlic press or a mortar and pestle (with a little salt to keep garlic from sliding), mash garlic to a paste. Stir into potatoes.
4. Alternately, in small amounts, add the olive oil and 1/2 cup vinegar, beating until smooth and creamy. If mixture is stiff, slowly beat in a little water at a time until smooth and creamy. (Keep warm if desired.)
5. To prepare vegetables: Set 2 large saucepans of salted water to boil. In one pan, add beets to boiling water. When water boils again, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. (Keep warm if desired.)
6. Remove beets from water and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, slip off skins and discard. (Keep warm if desired.)
7. In the second pan, add whole zucchini to boiling water. When water boils again, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Lift squash out of water and transfer to a plate. (Keep warm if desired.) Bring water to a boil again (for beet greens).
8. Add greens to boiling water. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from water and keep warm, if desired.
9. In a small bowl, whisk together 5 teaspoons of the olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
10. Slice beets, place in a bowl, and pour dressing over top. Let sit for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Slice zucchini and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the remaining olive oil. Drizzle greens with remaining oil. Arrange zucchini, beets, and beet greens on 1 or 2 large platters. Top with dollops of Skordalia.
Makes 10 servings
Skordalia Me Lahanika